Wrapping, Storing, Moving, Protecting Your Artwork
Create your own custom art sleeves to protect your art when transporting to and from art shows. Storing your art at home or in studio also needs to be considered for your paintings and framed art and photographs.
Protect Your Art
I have seen it happen more times than I can count. I've seen artists bring their art to an art show in a cardboard box with nothing around the work to protect the works from each other. I've seen artists carry a pile of artworks piled up on top of each other face up, down, face to another frame, canvas hardware to canvas face - you name it. And then throw the art in the back of the car to jiggle its way home.
The horror.
I've seen an art show with artwork hung with nicks in the frames and the artworks. Yes, I have. Unimaginable handling of what is supposed to be fine art, with the prices to go with it. How could anyone spend their time and talent on their artwork then mistreat it so badly? Then try to make good money on it?
Take the time to wrap, store, and protect your art - most especially when its on the move. You can and should create your own art sleeves!
Reflective Bubble Foil Insulation Sleeves
Create custom sleeves for various sizes of artwork from Reflective Foil Insulation. Think "pillow case" or "envelope". You need 3 sides closed and one side open. You can staple the sides and reinforce with aluminum tape or perhaps duct tape.
Purchased at Lowe's, Home Depot, or from Amazon, you can find various sizes and priced sheets or rolls to create your own sleeves. The insulation is lightweight and is enough padding that canvases and frames shouldn't get nicks and scratches when carrying and moving artwork to your art shows.
Art Tips: Use painter's tape and put a number on each sleeve that corresponds to the artwork that belongs to the sleeve. It helps knowing which canvas matches to which sleeve quickly when breaking down an art show and helps tracking your inventory.
We know that after a long day at a show, we all want to pack up and go home, but you must protect your unsold works so that they sell another day in another place.
I doubt the interior of the foil is acid-free, so long-term storage may prove to be unadvisable.
See these:
https://www.instagram.com/reels/DakmD7Ax_gq/
BeckerArt Making a Foil Envelope sleeve to protect your Framed Paintings
Felt Sleeves
I found large bundles of felt a few years ago at Walmart and again, going with the "pillow case" style of envelope sleeve, I cut the felt into various sizes corresponding to the artwork canvases I needed to move. A simple stitch to close the three sides was all that needed to be done. Potentially, if you fold the fabric, you may only need to sew 2 sides.
Art Tip: Use a Sharpie and write your name on the felt, or create and sew on your artist label to the felt to mark it as yours.
Pillow Cases, Blankets, Towels
I've used actual pillow cases to move a couple of pieces of art, as well as blankets and towels. Really, there is nothing wrong with it, just use something!
Archival Acid-Free Storage Bags
At a minimum for protecting and storing my art canvases, I use various sizes sizes of archival acid-free storage bags in a size larger than the canvas to store artwork to keep dust off the surface. I store the artwork standing straight up with the same-sized works, face to face and back to back (alternating), keeping in mind to not pack too tightly (especially if an artwork has texture).
For textured canvases, put something between the pieces for added protection.
Art Tips:
- Do not store artwork leaning into each other.
- Do not store artwork with the hanging materials pressed up to another canvas.
- Artwork shouldn't be stored in hot environments, or high humidity.
- Do not store, nor hang artwork in sunlight.
- You do need to store artwork with acid-free glassine paper, tissue paper, foam board, or cardboard, especially for longer-term storage.
Here's a great art care article to read as well:
How to Store & Protect Canvas Paintings & Prints: The Ultimate Guide for Longevity
What would you add and how do you store or move your artwork? Drop a comment below.
@2026 Donna Liguria. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use or reproduction is prohibited without permission
Author: Donna Liguria is the Blogmaster for Donna's Cave Paintings and an artist member of the Prince William Art Society (PWAS) in Woodbridge, VA. Donna specializes in acrylic paintings of landscapes, seascapes, historic locations, animals and many subjects. Visit her Website at DonnaLiguriaArt.com and her Donna's Esty site to shop her art.
*I LOVE reading your comments on my posts! Just remember that the blog comments are monitored so they may not appear right away.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Welcome to my Blog! If you wish to commission artwork, please send me your full name, your email, your phone, what you would like to have painted. What size you would like. I will get back to you as soon as possible. Thankyou for visiting.